Tips for Saving Money This Holiday Season
Nov 13, 2015
by Cindy Motsinger, Communications Coordinator
The holiday season is here, and with it comes worry about how to afford it. Here are a few tips that can keep your wallet off your worry list.
- Make a Budget. Whether you started saving for the holidays last year, or you are just starting now, its not too late to make a budget. Remember, this is not a case of keeping up with what everyone else is doing, but what makes the most sense for you. It is possible to give thoughtfully without breaking the bank.
- Stick to the Budget. There are various ways that people can help themselves stick to a budget. Here are a few ideas:
- Research how much your items are going to cost before you buy. An easy method is to use online stores to do the research, even if you prefer to buy in person.
- Make a list, and do not stray from the list. It’s easy to convince yourself that you “need” something while out in the stores. Remember, you’ve planned for this so just do not buy anything that isn’t on the list.
- Use cash, or put your funds on a loadable gift card that you can use anywhere. You won’t be tempted to spend more than you have if you don’t have the means to do so with you.
- Encourage different holiday traditions. Do you buy for everyone? Consider having all members of your family pick one person as their “secret santa” or do a white elephant exchange this year. Everyone will still get a gift, but the total amount of gifts will be less. Or, as an alternate to gift giving, consider activities such as playing board games, singing carols, or making holiday treats together.
- Make it a group effort. Potluck dinners are a great way to share the burden of both money and time while allowing everyone to share something they love.
- Make shipping easier. Are you shipping your gift to a loved one? Many online stores will ship the item directly to them, including a gift wrap, which will save you time and money at the post office. If you are shipping your own item, consider making the outer box a festive one provided at your post office. Double boxing adds weight and cost.
Please add your bio info through your member profile page, or through your dashboard.
Have you promised yourself that you will save more money for the big things – like your kid’s college education or retirement?…
As a parent, there are many things on your mind, and the last thing you want to worry about is what happens if you or your…
The holiday season is here, and with it comes worry about how to afford it. Here are a few tips that can keep your wallet off…