Western Fraternal Life's scholarship program has provided funds to help members achieve their educational dreams.
Western Fraternal Life wants to help all our members succeed and is excited to help them attain their dreams through education. As the cost of getting a higher education continues to grow, Western Fraternal Life is proud to offer 25 National Scholarships.
Click here to learn more about the WFLA Education and Charitable Foundation.
Click here to download the National Scholarship Application.
These Scholarships Include
One four-year academic scholarship each year, at $1,000 per year, for a total of $4,000.
One $1,000 scholarship (of the 25) will be awarded to an applicant with outstanding volunteer community service.
One $1,000 scholarship (of the 25) will be awarded to a non-traditional applicant, age 25 and up.
Two $1,000 scholarship (of the 25) to either Community College or Vocational/Trade School.
Scholarships are awarded on academic ability based on appropriate test scores, school, community and lodge involvement, and financial need.
Please submit the following records by March 1:
- Fully completed scholarship application form with essay attachment. (See link above)
- High school transcripts. If you have attended college full time for two or more semesters, only your college transcript is required.
- SAT and/or ACT test scores.
- Acceptance letter from a college/university or vocational/technical school, if currently not attending.
- College/university or vocational/technical school transcripts, if currently attending.
Selections will be made by a committee from the educational/business community independent of Western.
All applications and other academic information must be received by Western no later than March 1.
Guidelines, eligibility requirements, and information can be found at www.wflains.org.
Send submissions to:
Western Fraternal Life, 1900 First Avenue NE, Cedar Rapids, IA 52402
- The applicant must be a Western member in good standing for two years prior to the application deadline.
- Members are eligible to win a four-year scholarship only once. The four-year scholarship is for incoming freshmen or those going on to grad school.
- Members who receive a $1,000 scholarship are eligible to win the scholarship four times for a total of $4,000. Members must apply each year.
- The four-year scholarship applicant must show proof of a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or C average each year.
- Applicants must be accepted or attending as a full-time student at an accredited College/University or Vocational/Technical Institution for an entire school year. A copy of the verification must be included.
- Recipients of other Western lodge, district, or state scholarships are eligible for the National Scholarship.
- One four-year scholarship at $1,000 per year, up to a maximum $4,000. You must be attending four-years of college or going on to grad school in order to be eligible for this scholarship.
- Termination of membership in Western Fraternal Life will automatically terminate the scholarship.
- Scholarships will be paid directly to each student’s school for tuition, books, and incidentals.
- Western Fraternal Life will not be responsible for the student’s conduct, personal affairs, or debts incurred while receiving scholarship funds.
- If a recipient’s studies are interrupted by illness, accident, or other extenuating circumstances, he or she may request the scholarship be held for him or her during that time. Any such interruption must be reported promptly to the Member Programs Coordinator for action.
- Western Fraternal Life will screen applications for eligibility as a member in good standing, but will not engage in making evaluations or selections. Information on candidates for these scholarships will be processed by an impartial committee from the education/business community independent of Western.
- All applications and other academic information must be received by Western Fraternal Life no later than March 1. The scholarships will be announced in May.
The Western Fraternal Life National Scholarship is a noncontractual benefit, subject to change by the Board of Directors.
Other Scholarship Opportunities
WFLA Education and Charitable Foundation, a 501(c) (3) charitable organization, provides additional scholarships to members for their continued education. Donations from lodges or members to this fund provide for these scholarship opportunities. As this fund builds, more scholarships will be available.
- South Dakota
- WI Upper MI: Click here for eligibility guidelines. In order to access an application, please follow this link (click here). Click on Register. After you successfully register, scroll down the list of available applications and at the bottom click on Search/Show All. You can enter WFLA in the search criteria box and click perform search. Then click on the title WFLA Scholarship Application to access the application.
- No. 38, Austin MN offers a scholarship given in memory or honor of senior members. Deadline is July 10, 2018. Contact Mary Haggerty at 651-923-4751 or Bonnie Sawyer at 507-289-6735 for information.