Western Fraternal Life's scholarship program has provided funds to help members achieve their educational dreams.
Western Fraternal Life wants to help all our members succeed and is excited to help them attain their dreams through education. As the cost of getting a higher education continues to grow, Western Fraternal Life is proud to offer 25 National Scholarships.
Click here to learn more about the WFLA Education and Charitable Foundation.
These Scholarships Include
- One, four-year Academic Scholarship, $1,000 per year for a total of $4,000.
- Two, $1,000 Scholarships to either Community College or Vocational/Technical School.
- One Community Involvement Scholarship for $1,000 to an applicant with outstanding volunteer service.
- One Non-Traditional Student Scholarship for $1,000 to applicants age 25 and older.
- Twenty scholarships will be awarded based on academic ability, test scores, school, community and lodge involvement, and financial need.
Other Scholarship Opportunities
WFLA Education and Charitable Foundation, a 501(c) (3) charitable organization, provides additional scholarships to members for their continued education. Donations from lodges or members to this fund provide for these scholarship opportunities. As this fund builds, more scholarships will be available.
- South Dakota
- WI Upper MI
- No. 38, Austin MN offers a scholarship given in memory or honor of senior members. Deadline is July 10, 2016. Contact Jeanne Rolfson at 507.460.2685 for information.
- The applicant must be a Western member in good standing for two years prior to the application deadline.
- Members are eligible to win a four-year scholarship only once.
- Members who receive a $1,000 scholarship are eligible to win the scholarship four times for a total of $4,000. Members must apply each year.
- The four-year scholarship applicant must show proof of a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or C average each year.
- Applicants must be accepted or attending as a full-time student at an accredited College/University or Vocational/Technical Institution for an entire school year. A copy of the verification must be included.
- Recipients of other Western lodge, district, or state scholarships are eligible for the National Scholarship.
- Termination of membership in Western Fraternal Life will automatically terminate the scholarship.
- Scholarships will be paid directly to each student’s school for tuition, books, and incidentals.
- Western Fraternal Life will not be responsible for the student’s conduct, personal affairs, or debts incurred while receiving scholarship funds.
- If a recipient’s studies are interrupted by illness, accident, or other extenuating circumstances, he or she may request the scholarship be held for him or her during that time. Any such interruption must be reported promptly to the Member Programs Coordinator for action.
- Western Fraternal Life will screen applications for eligibility as a member in good standing, but will not engage in making evaluations or selections. Information on candidates for these scholarships will be processed by an impartial committee from the education/business community independent of Western.
- All applications and other academic information must be received by Western Fraternal Life no later than March 1. The scholarships will be announced in May.
The Western Fraternal Life National Scholarship is a noncontractual benefit, subject to change by the Board of Directors.
How to Apply
The scholarship application, and all materials, must be received no later than March 1 for the next school year. An application and regulations can be found on our website: www.wflains.org or call toll free 1-877-935-2467.
The following records must be submitted by March 1 to qualify for the next school year:
- Fully completed scholarship application form with essay attachment.
- High school transcripts.
- SAT and/or ACT test scores for College/University.
- Acceptance letter from a College/University or Vocational/Technical school, if currently not attending.
- College/University or Vocational/Technical School transcripts, if currently attending.
For additional information or to receive an application, please contact the Fraternal Department at 877-935-2467.